About Me

My photo
I'm on a year's CBA Community Archaeology Training Placement at Northlight Heritage in Glasgow

Monday, 13 May 2013

Week 3

During week 3 I attended Citizenship Day at Castleview Primary School in Craigmillar in Edinburgh.  I led a workshop for the Primary 7 class on their local heritage and what their responsibilities are to look after it.  We looked at old maps and aerial photos of Craigmillar and talked about how Scottish children like Agnes Moffat were not lucky enough to have the rights that modern children have...although rights come with responsibilities!  Before lunch I took the class to their local care home so that the kids could perform a virtual tour of Craigmillar Castle (they are the Junior Guides there) and so that they could get to know the residents and quiz them about Craigmillar in times gone by.

This photo shows us walking to the care home - bringing a touch of the Medieval to modern Craigmillar.  It was a truly amazing day for all those involved and I was proud to be a part of this inter-generational conversation.


Later that week I worked again with two schools in Govan - once at Govan Old Church and then in St. Constantine's Primary.  I think my enthusiasm for the Vikings might have come across!  Although I did have the funniest ever comment from a child when I showed her this photo of Viking tweezers
 and asked what they were.  When no answer came I prompted "They help you look beautiful"....A hand went up...."yes?" I asked.  The wee girl replies "Are they straighteners?"  This is why we should always put a scale in photographs!

I am also very interested in the modern and the medieval Govan colliding...This picture shows the "Doomster Hill" as it is today:
I wonder how many local residents know anything about the fact that this might have effectively been a court/parliament/ceremonial site of the Kingdom of Strathclyde!

And I wonder how many of them walk across this stone set into the pavement which depicts an inscription from the amazing Govan Sarcophagus!  Probably the oldest Grave monument in the Church - dating from about 850AD!

No comments:

Post a Comment