About Me

My photo
I'm on a year's CBA Community Archaeology Training Placement at Northlight Heritage in Glasgow

Monday, 17 June 2013

Week 9

One great thing about Community Archaeology is that you get to meet lots of different people.  This week I started working on a Heritage Skills survey for the Inner Forth Landscape Initiative http://innerforthlandscape.wordpress.com/.  This involved going to meet communities around the inner reaches of the river Forth and talking to them about which aspects of their heritage interest them.  I saw places I'd never seen before - such as the magnificent Lime Kilns at Charleston and heard how even people as far away as Australia are concerned for their conservation.
On the other side of the Forth I spoke to the Friends of Kinneil - a very active heritage group, who've produced lots of resources to engage local people in their heritage, such as this brilliant film: http://www.bonessmining.org.uk/

 I also went to meet two nice ladies from the Scottish Buildings Preservation Trust at the Haining in Selkirk.  This is the site of a new Community Archaeology Project, which I'm working on http://www.thehaining.co.uk/sccap.htm we had a look around the exciting site of a medieval Motte and Bailey Castle and discussed how we are going to get local volunteers involved.

But I didn't do all the visiting.  At the start of this week Tara - the Community Archaeology Placement Coordinator at the CBA came to see me!  It was great to catch up and make sure I'm on track with my placement.  Thanks Tara!

No comments:

Post a Comment